Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The 40 Year-Old Virgin [2005, Judd Appatow]


Judd Appatow is a comedic genious. He's managed to bring about comic marvels like Superbad, Pineapple Express and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. After watching those three, I couldn't resist checking out 'The Virgin' as it's referred to in my household.
I watched this within 8 hours of watching Se7en, so I needed a light, fun movie to pick me up a bit. And that's just what this film does. You don't have to think about it, you've just have to sit back and prepare to laugh.
Andy (Carrell) is just what you'd assume him to be, a 40 year-old virgin. When his friends from work find out about it, they try to get him laid. And so the fun begins.
I've always been a big fan of The Office, so, I'm no stranger to Carrell's hilarious delivery. And I must say, I think he's funnier in this film than any other episode of The Office.

It was also awesome seeing Rogen in his early stages as an actor, he's the same old character he plays in every movie, the lovable, moronic, pudgy guy that you just can't help but like.
This sure doesn't compare to Pineapple Express and Superbad but, deffinately is far superior to one of Appatow's lesser works, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which was only good for a few laughs, and nothing more.
Still waiting to see Knocked Up, but if it's half as funny as these four films, which I'm sure it will be, than I'm in for a treat.
The 40 Year-Old Virgin {7/10}
Superbad {8/10}
Pineapple Express {9/10}
Forgetting Sarah Marshall {4.5/10}

No comments:

Post a Comment